Thursday, December 08, 2005

Shaadi Karo Beta

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a mid-20s Indian with a doting mother will run at the slightest hint of marriage.

What is this obsession with mothers? Any and every friend of mine has a horror story to narrate about their mother's attempts at getting her child hooked on to the idea of marriage. Umpteen have been my tiffs with mommy over the afore-mentioned subject, though till now she has only resorted to subtle hints and not blatant threats. But, yes, she has gone to the extent of, "Dekh Beta. Your brother had an inter-caste marriage. I hope you will marry within the caste." In fact, she doesn't use the word 'hope'. Instead, "I WANT you to..."

Usually such discussions are nipped in the bud with a deft wag of the tongue ranging from,

1. "Oh, I forgot to tell you. Just last week I got married."
2. "Why do you want me to go through all those 'K-episode' moments in my life?" Then ramble on about scheming daughters-in-law, a la, Mohini from KSBKBT.
3. "But, I thought child marriage was abolished a long time back." And expound on the teachings of Raja Ram Mohan Roy, etc. etc.

One response that I haven't tried as yet is "I am gay." (Which I am NOT) Me thinks, it would have the opposite effect on mommy-dearest and she might pursue her bridal-explorations with renewed vigour.


As an aside, just a random thought... Why do virgins feel their life is all SCREWED up?
And yeah, its GOD's birthday. Long live the Lizard King. Why oh why, did you have to die so young???

2 Comments:

Blogger Ashwin said...

My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher.
With media gyrating with John Lennon's assasination and Dharam papajee's b'day, someone did remember GOD's (Jim Morrison) b'day..So it goes...

11:02 PM  
Blogger Surya Ragunaathan said...

Hey, NICE POST!! I think u shud LIVE ur life sum more before u get married...dunno y I said that...
As for Jim Morrison,am not like a crazy fan or sumthing, honestly...but I did watch a documentary long ago based on how he composed, the 'roadhouse blues'and 'lite my fire'...good ones I must admit...
cheers!!

1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home