Friday, December 30, 2005

2005: The Year That Was

This in all probability will be my last post for the year, unless some earth-shattering event transpires tomorrow (read, some girl crazy enough to love me, actually drops the bomb). Quite a nice way to end Y2K5 considering the fact that this is my 50th post. Completely unintended, I should admit.

The year has been quite eventful for me:
Jumped onto the blogging bandwagon (albeit, a bit late)
Finally started earning my own bread
Discovered my love for classic movies

Also, quite a few aspects changed over the course of the past 12 months. These include:

Start: Wannabe Gasmaster MBA
Mid: Grossly Overpaid MBA
End: Just Another Frustrated MBA

S: Moderate Smoker
M: Heavy Smoker
E: One last puff on the 31st and that would be it for a lifetime.

S: Where will I get placed?
M: Will I love my job?
E: My job sucks!!!

A year in which I must have read around 40-45 books (hmm...can certainly do better) and watched an equal number of movies (half of them being Bollywood trash).

A year in which I made quite a handful of friends, and unlike the whiff-of-the-breeze acquaintances that MBAs like me are programmed to, some of them will hopefully remain with me for a lifetime.

Pradnya - with whom the number of messages exchanged during the year outweighs the number of words we had spoken right since our first year of BMS. One of the primary reasons why my cellular service operator hasn't gone bankrupt.
Ashwin - my BMS super-junior who was granted the privilege of being a co-research member for Armageddon and with whom I have spent countless evenings accompanied by Sharab and Kebab. Sorry, junta. No Shabaab.
Surya - who made the mistake of approaching me for career guidance. Oye! Mera career ka pata nahin. Main tujhe kya bataoon? Anywhichways, I managed to pull off the stunt in typical Dhanno fashion, which ensured that our friendship grew within no time.
Prasanna and Pallavi - my JBIMS juniors with whom I and Hansie had a rollicking time at MICA.
Varun and Siddharth - who mistook my garbled nonsense as genuine advice. Fortunately, we came out trumps, guys. You should be proud of what you managed.
How could I forget you all - Nikki (sans, the Neal), Kankan, Diya, Arvind, Rohan, Saurabh, Abhay, Alex, etc. etc.

A certain unnamed individual deserves a mention. I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU!!!

Happiest Moment of the Year: Armageddon 2005 - At the end of the quiz, the team from TCS Calcutta, walked up to me and said, "We are not at all sad that we finished last. We are happy that we witnessed such a high-quality quiz."
Saddest Moment of the Year: Placement Day at JBIMS. Will leave it for some other post.
Embarassing Moment of the Year: Intaglio at IIM-Calcutta - Was forced to play the role of a female for the Ad-Mad Show. Am still wondering whether the audience applauded out of genuine appreciation or were they just pulling my leg. We won though :)

One thing that hasn't changed:
S: No Girlfriend
M: No Girlfriend
E: No Girlfriend

Darned Year, I Tell You!!!

PS: Just a couple of doubts, which might or might not bear resemblance to events past, present or future. Can someone tell me whether the following two are instances of compliments or insults:
1. Your hairstyle is likened to that of Ajay Devgan.
2. You are termed 'Perfect Husband Material'.

2 Comments:

Blogger Surya Ragunaathan said...

I dont think ur hairstyle is anywhere near Ajay Devgan...so dunno what to comment actually
Hmmm...'Husband material'..uhh...ahem...I guess i dont know u so much as to pen a personal comment but,lemme tell u one thing about this one - if it was a girl who passed that comment, then its a COMPLIMENT, if it was a guy, then its an INSULT...my inference is this
cheers!!

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, this is Sid here...saw you conducting Armageddon 2005...must say the questions appeared to be very well-researched though....although I don't agree with your ever-so-slighlty-pompous:-) thought that quizzing/quizzes need to be only high-quality (refer to your reasons as to why you think you should be called to conduct quizzes)........for if it were so, not many people would get attracted it.....after all the best way to have knowledge is to spread it around for everyone to share in it.

To the best of my not-too-sufficient knowledge, quizzing never was nor ever will be an elitist activity. And as a small-time quiz enthusiast/follower/qizzard, I have definitely observed that quizzing has spread to more of the masses, thanks in part, due to Sid Basu and Derek. Of course I am not euluogising them in any way. But they have done their part.

Parnab as a quizmaster is a totally different affair. I have no words to describe that EXCRUCIATING EXPERIENCE!!! And as a quizzard and a fellow Bong to boot, it saddens me to see the debacle to which he deliberately reduces a quiz to.

But having said all of this, I still would wish to see more quizzes conducted by you in the future! For a well-researched question is much more meaningful than a dozen hollow-though-casually-thrilling ones!

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home